COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Due to the impact of Covid-19 (Coronavirus), the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority has closed its headquarters, visitor attractions (Carew Castle, Castell Henllys and Oriel y Parc), its car parks and sections of the Pembrokeshire Coast Path until further notice. All meetings and events are cancelled until further notice. If you have any queries please call 01646 624800 or email

Cookie Information: To help us make this website better, the cookie settings are set to 'allow all cookies'. If you continue without changing these settings, you consent to this - for more information and to change this at any time, see our privacy policy.   

Home » Living In » Planning » Planning Advice » Before You Apply » Planning obligations

Planning obligations

The Town and Country Planning Act provides, under Section 106, the ability for an applicant, who is the owner of the land,  to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Local Planning Authority called a Planning Obligation.  Such agreements can be used to:

  • Restrict the development or use of the land in any specified way
  • Require specific operations or activities to be carried out in, on , over or under land
  • Require the land to be used in a specific way
  • Require a sum, or sums, to be paid to the Authority on a specified date or dates or periodically

Such an agreement has to meet the tests of reasonableness in that

  • it is needed from a practical point of view to enable the development to go ahead
  • in the case of financial payment, it will contribute to meeting the cost of providing such facilities in the near future
  • it is necessary from a planning point of view and is otherwise so directly related to the proposed development and to the use of the land after its completion that the development ought not to be permitted without it

The range of such agreements is wide and may be used to gain an element of affordable housing within a scheme, the provision of road improvements that are only needed as a result of the proposed development or even "giving up" other uses within the Use Classes Order or within the normal Permitted Development Rights thereby restricting the development to exactly what is proposed. 

This facility, which may enable your development to go ahead, is a legal one and should only be discussed with the Authority together with the help and advice of your own solicitor.