COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Due to the impact of Covid-19 (Coronavirus), the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority has closed its headquarters, visitor attractions (Carew Castle, Castell Henllys and Oriel y Parc), its car parks and sections of the Pembrokeshire Coast Path until further notice. All meetings and events are cancelled until further notice. If you have any queries please call 01646 624800 or email

Cookie Information: To help us make this website better, the cookie settings are set to 'allow all cookies'. If you continue without changing these settings, you consent to this - for more information and to change this at any time, see our privacy policy.   

Home » Living In » Planning » Planning Advice » Before You Apply » Building Control

Building Control

Building Control (the need to meet the requirements of Building Regulations) and Planning (the need to meet Planning Legislation) are separate forms of legislation. For many forms of development, BOTH are required before work can commence.

For developments within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park area, Planning is administered by the National Park Authority and Building Control by Pembrokeshire County Council.

What are Building Regulations?

The Building Regulations are approved by Parliament and deal with the minimum standards of design and building work for the construction of domestic, commercial and industrial buildings.

They cover subjects such as:

  • Structure
  • Fire safety
  • Ventilation
  • Drainage
  • Energy conservation, and
  • Access and facilities for disabled people.

In addition, they set out the definitions of 'building work' and the procedures for ensuring that any work meets the standards laid down.

The Building Regulations also contain a list of requirements (referred to as Schedule 1) to ensure the health and safety of people in and around buildings; to provide for energy conservation; and to provide access and facilities for disabled people.

More information concerning the need for Building Regulations can be obtained from Pembrokeshire County Council who can be contacted by telephone on Haverfordwest 01437 764551 or via the link below.

PCC Website Address - Pembrokeshire County Council website address