COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Due to the impact of Covid-19 (Coronavirus), the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority has closed its headquarters, visitor attractions (Carew Castle, Castell Henllys and Oriel y Parc), its car parks and sections of the Pembrokeshire Coast Path until further notice. All meetings and events are cancelled until further notice. If you have any queries please call 01646 624800 or email

Cookie Information: To help us make this website better, the cookie settings are set to 'allow all cookies'. If you continue without changing these settings, you consent to this - for more information and to change this at any time, see our privacy policy.   

Home » Living In » Planning » Planning Advice » Before You Apply » Permitted Development

Permitted Development

Some building works of a minor nature can be carried out without the need to obtain planning permission - this is called permitted development. The rules governing permitted development can change from time to time and it is always advisable to seek advice before carrying out any changes. 

Flats and maisonettes do not have these permitted rights and some houses, especially small new houses or houses that have been created by converting buildings from other uses, may have had these rights removed.  In such cases, ALL development requires formal planning permission.

28 Day Rule and Certificated Caravan and Camping sites

  • The 28 Day Rule allows a landowner to use land for tented camping only without having to get formal planning permission for 28 days in a calendar year.
  • A Camping or touring caravan exemption certificate allows a recreational organisation to camp or caravan on land without a site licence or the need to apply for planning permission.
  • Our 28 Day Rule leaflet is a brief guide to what is permitted under planning law for 28 day rule and certificated caravan and camping sites. It is intended to be a helpful and simple guide and should not be regarded as a full interpretation of the law. If you have any doubts, please contact the Development Management team.

House Holder Alterations and Extensions
Some small alterations and extensions to houses can be carried out without consent.

Within the National Park, any alteration which affects the roofline, including the addition of dormer windows, requires consent.

Minor Works
There are some types of development that can be carried out to any building, or land.

  • Walls, fences and other means of enclosure

Walls, fences and other methods of enclosing land can be erected subject to conditions relating to their height.  

Any enclosure adjacent to a highway used by vehicles that is higher than one metre at any point requires consent.

Any other enclosure over two metres in height at any point requires consent.

Any enclosure surrounding a listed building requires formal approval.

  • Constructing an access

Subject to the access not being considered to be dangerous, consent is not required for the creation of an access onto an unclassified road where the access is required in connection with any other permitted development.

The creation of an access onto a classified or trunk road requires consent.

  • Painting the exterior of a building

Painting the exterior of a building does not require consent unless the painting includes an advertisement, announcement or direction.

Painting a listed building that has not previously been painted requires listed building consent.

Changes of Use
As with building works, some changes of use do not require planning permission.

A change of use from one use to another within the same Use Class does not usually require consent.  For example:   a retail shop operating as a bakery could change to a toy shop or a cinema could change to a bingo hall without any consent being needed.

Advice should always be sought as to whether a change is permitted.

Formal consent for demolition is required in certain circumstances.

  • Listed buildings

Consent is always needed for demolition of a listed building or a structure attached to a listed building.

  • Conservation areas

Consent is needed for the demolition of a wall that is more than 2 metres high, and for the demolition of any building more than 115m3.

  • Other areas

Consent is required for the demolition of any building which is a dwelling, or is attached to a dwelling, if it is larger than 50m3.

Where the demolition is part of a planning application for the redevelopment of a site, details of the demolition works should be included in the application.

CCTV Cameras
The erection of one camera to be used for security purposes is permitted subject to certain conditions relating to its size and location.  Advice should be sought to check that your camera is within those limits.

Consent is always required for the erection of a camera on a listed building (Listed Building consent) or on a scheduled ancient monument (Scheduled Monument Consent from CADW).

External Lighting
Whilst Planning powers control 'development', the Courts have ruled that light itself is not 'development' in planning legislation. This means that no one needs planning permission to shine any light.

It is only where the provision of lighting involves development, or where it is part of a larger development scheme for which a planning application is required, that conditions can be imposed.

External lights added to an existing building, boundary wall or fence are in general not thought to alter the building's appearance to a significant extent, and therefore do not normally amount to development requiring planning permission.

If the building is a listed building, listed building approval is always required.